An Afternoon in St. Augustine

DSC_0933
Top: J. Crew | Shorts: Macy's | Shoes: TOMS | Hat: J. Crew | Bag: DSW | Sunnies: Old Navy | Necklace: J. Crew
DSC_0930
DSC_0932

SHOP EXACT/SIMILAR:

We got to St. Augustine from Savannah in the late afternoon and we set out to do some quick exploring that day. Sadly, my outfit pictures are all blurry! My camera was running out of battery and the focus was way off most of the time. I didn't even know that was a thing that happens. Maybe it's just my camera.

DSC_0923

This was my second time in St. Augustine and I still feel like I didn't fully experience what it has to offer. I mean, the city was founded in the 1500's. There's a lot of history to take in! I would feel a little better if we had taken a tour, like we did in Savannah and Charleston. Now, people may denounce guided tours as "tourist traps," but I happen to value tour guides and their unique perspectives on their cities. Tours give you a good foundation for exploring on your own and figuring out where you'd like to spend more time. So next time I'm in St. Augustine I will definitely do that.

DSC_0924
I just love brick roads!!
DSC_0936
Especially labeled ones.
DSC_0934

I kept thinking of that brick collector from the Modern Marvels episode on bricks that I had coincidentally seen the week before. Love that show.

DSC_0937
DSC_0945

I was very happy to go inside the oldest wooden schoolhouse in the U.S. because the first time I visited (I was 8) it was closed for renovation.

DSC_0965

It's so cute! Creepy dolls and all. I don't mind them.

DSC_0973
Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse_Kitchen
DSC_0980
The structure is now tilted.
DSC_0970
DSC_0981
Coquina floors.
The Dungeon | St. Augustine Old Schoolhouse
The old-timey version of time-out!
Ok, so this was the only part that was creepy. Apparently they placed bad children in here. I believe it. Life was harsh back in the day, so teaching methods were too.

DSC_1002
Old school bell, which you can still ring.
DSC_1008
DSC_1010
Jose Marti_St. Augustine Old School House
There's a row of monuments dedicated to prominent Latin American figures (aka men). Here's Jose Marti, national Cuban hero (pre communist regime, obviously).
DSC_1015
I just loved this roof and the subtle growth on it.
DSC_1019

And then there's this little shop with neat little souvenirs for teachers and students. Like these little gems that I got for my teacher best friend:

sarcastic teacher gifts

Then we walked by the Castillo de San Marcos when it was still a remarkably sunny day. Not a cloud in the sky in this direction, but behind us was a different story.

DSC_1024
DSC_1025
DSC_1026
I considered cropping this little girl out but then decided that I liked her outfit, so she stays.

It got cloudy fast and my camera's battery was about to die, so this happened:

DSC_1031

DSC_1033

Very unfortunate. Would have made great shots.
DSC_1037
DSC_1036
And there's also this one via Instagram:
St. Augustine

And that's it for the first afternoon in St. Augustine.
Thanks for coming down far enough to read me thanking you for reading!

:)

3 comments

  1. You look so happy to be there and hopefully you enjoy every second of your trip. Love the whole summer outfit <3

    Avi
    www.petitefashionmonster.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it difficult to track a lost phone? This article will tell you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, everyone!
I enjoy reading them and checking out your blogs, too. :)